Friday, November 6, 2009

So I stumbled upon the Apostle Paul today...

So the whole thing I said about Rome not being the prettiest place I’ve been...I lied. Apparently yesterday I was just missing the good stuff. We got up early this morning to go on a private guided car tour of Rome, and it was SO worth the early wakeup call. I saw all the major cool things in Rome...the Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Vatican, etc. But man, so much about today surprised me.


First off, Michelangelo designed so much in this city. I discovered his statue of Moses (one of his 3 famous statues) in a church, as well as these amazing steps that lead up to Rome’s capital hill. The statue of Moses fascinated me with its creepy horns and overall massiveness, but something else in that same church took my attention away. Amidst portraits and altars honoring saints, and right in the middle? The grim reaper. Yes. A lit up altar, framing a terrible image of the grim reaper. Is this the catholic church reminding themselves that there are demons? Very peculiar.


In one of the basilicas today, I also stumbled upon the grave of the apostle Paul. WHAT?! It was so casually matter-of-fact that they had the remains of Paul, along with the chains he was bound in the last years of his life. So. Amazing. It intrigues me that people live and walk among these artifacts every day, taking them for granted like its just another Starbucks on the corner (of which they have none, actually).


One of my last jaw dropping moments of the day was a pretty big oversight on my part. Guess who I forgot lived in Rome? Good old Julius Caesar. Suddenly I found myself standing at these steps, and realizing I was looking at the very spot where Julius Caesar was murdered on the Ides of March. These are the moments I cherish the most.


Tonight I was able to catch a show at a local theatre, a sort of variety show that I had no expectation going in to. Although I understand little Italian, the show was quite hilarious and reminded me of old American variety hours on television, full of singing, dancing, and comedy routines. They did bits from the musicals Cabaret, Chicago, and Moulin Rouge, but added quite a nice touch to them. Imagine Lady Marmalade and the Cell Block Tango as a dance techno remixes, complete with modern dance interpretation. It was probably my favorite part of the show. That and the Italian eye candy...oh boy.


Lastly, my one major accomplishment today? Aside from spending way too much on Italian clothes? I carried a full conversation in Italian with the ticket agent at the theatre, understood everything she said, and I think I had her convinced I was fluent. VICTORY!


3 more days in Rome, 1 day in Florence, 5 days in Raleigh, then I’m home. New York City. Times are NOT shitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment